Monday, June 19, 2006

It must be a joke

Male, 30 something, a farmer, good income
Need a wife, any age
Requirement: has a tractor
Please call to xxx-xxxxx
p.s. please send the picture of your tractor!


What kind of ad is this for goodness sake?!!
I was shocked to death when someone shared this story to me. No way, it must be a joke!

Despite it is a joke or not, I found this ad is very sad. A guy tried to find a woman (shall we say a soul mate?) using an ad to, in the end, randomly pick one; one that has a tractor. Sad. Thus, this farmer just expected the tractor and he would pay this woman (let’s assume, lovely woman) with a marriage.

It struck me down to pieces when I realize that sometimes I act the same towards God. I don’t care anything but His blessings.
God give me new clothes
God, please help me do this exam
God, give me enough money this month
God bless me today
God provide my food today!
My goodness, I am just wanting His ‘tractor’!

Like marriage, both of the parties (gosh, I am repeating Mark Tawil?) have to be willing to know each other before they enter the marriage. They have to spend time together, chat and probably have dinner often before they say their vows in the altar. After these quality time together, knowing each other, each party will know each other’s desire, will, dreams, goals, and many more.

Ah, I have been too lazy to spend quality time with God. Last couple of months, I said to Him, “God, I am busy with my dissertation, I will spend more time with you when I am done with my dissertation.” Months before that I’d said the same thing, “God, it’s very hectic working with German colleagues. This project has driven me crazy. I promise, I will be closer to you as soon as I hand in my report.” Sadly, last month, after I have finished my dissertation, which has made us struggling with laughs and tears, I said, “Uh, I am exhausted. I also have extra jobs. I need to earn more money before I am leaving the Netherlands. I will do that, Lord! I promise!

Yeah, I ain’t doing very good, am I?

Some of you might be familiar with this verse “ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you” Yeah, you are totally right! This is from The Bible, from John 15. And, yes, you are right again! Jesus said this. What you might have overlooked is a sentence before this. “If you remain in me and my words remain in you

Two-way communication and faithfulness, ladies and gentlemen, that is the recipe before you are asking for another ‘tractor’.

p.s. thank’s mom for this story!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home