Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Don’t hate me because I am poor!

What do you think if a student, like me says “I’m poor! I don’t have any money.”?
I bet you would think that I’m just poor at that moment, or you would think that I’d spent money too much lately.

Okay,.. now I will say “I’m poor! I don’t have any money!
And I mean it.

Surprised?
Or maybe you still think that I lied?
Once again I say, I really mean it.

It’s been a while when financial problems had occurred in my life. My parents had a big crisis two years ago, and it is not over yet. I couldn’t tell what it is as my parents would chop me into pieces if I do that (sorry, a bit exaggerating, they are not that creepy!). I used to work quite a lot in Albert Heijn (my part-time job) to my expenses and school fee by myself, especially in the summer, I’d spent the whole summer working everyday in Albert Heijn to pay my school fee this year. However, since I’m doing my (unpaid) internship at this moment, I could only work once or twice a week, which caused me financial problems so that I had to ask some money from my parents.

It’s ashamed really.

In the beginning of my internship, I struggled a lot. I couldn’t even pay my rent. I had to owe some money to my roommate to pay the rent and then paid her back when I got my salary.

I used to watch Indonesian soap films, which exposed slums and poor people. The children, one day, were walking around in the big city, Jakarta. They did anything to earn money: begging to people, singing (or should I say making noise) near the traffic lights, or even worse, they tried to find food in the dustbin. Do you familiar with the scene when those children standing in front of restaurant window, watching people eating their lunch or dinner and then they said to themselves that they wish they were rich.

I would tell you a secret; I did the same last week.I lived in a heart of Amsterdam and there are a lot of nice restaurants in this neighborhood. Last week, I stood in front of Thai Restaurant, thinking that as if I had money, I would sit in that chair, ordered a portion of Tom Yam Khung as an appetizer.

In that period, I also had to sacrifice my favorite food, my proper meal. There was a time when I could only eat eggs and instant noodle (Indomie, typical Indonesia). I stopped buying my favorite snacks and candies.

I know it is sad.
At this moment, thanks God, I could manage my life. I live quite normal lately, although I still have to be careful with my expenses.What did you do, Nia?
Some of you might ask this question.

I work more.
Thus, I do my internship Monday- Thursday and Thursday night, I work in a restaurant, in front of my house. Twice a month I also work on Friday and Sunday there or sometimes more and on Saturday, I work in Albert Heijn.

I am indeed tired, I hardly have time to relax, but I think it’s the price I need to pay if I want to survive, do I?

“How come your parents allowed you to do this, Nia?!”
Some of you, again, might think like this, but I will tell you, They don’t know!
They just know that I work in Albert Heijn, and once in a while help in an Indonesian restaurant. I still, indeed, request some money from my parents, however it is only a little amount of money, to help me paying my rent. The rest I try to pay by myself; I have to, even I have to give up some things.

One thing that I want to say to close my story, please don’t be sorry because I am poor. I am poor, but I am happy.
I don’t have money but I have God.
I would more appreciate if you help me in prayer rather than treat me every time. I know I have great friends, nice friends who support me in every occasion, but treating me, buying me a dinner, paying when we go to the cinema, is not solving my problem.
I have money for it, if I want.
But I don’t want to spend money for unnecessary things, at least at this moment.

(Special message) Please don’t hate me if I am poor, because I might act sensitively or even scarily when you touch this area, but don’t be sorry either, because I am happy in my weakness.

As Jesus said in Matthew 5:3
“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven”
Don’t think that Jesus was out of His mind when He said that. Being poor is indeed not pleasant; however in this case He wanted us to learn to be happy and thankful in our weaknesses.

I don’t even know how long I have to stay in this condition; however I know He will give the best for us, as Isaiah said “For my thoughts are not Your thoughts, neither are Your ways. …As the heavens are higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Friends, if you are in a bad condition and do not even know what to do, everything seems hopeless, please depend on Him and remember that there will be a rainbow after a big storm.


Monday, 21:00 after a big storm hit me.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Debs - debslosingit.com said...

Nia, I don;t knwo you and just stumbled onto your blog, but doing what makes you happy and what makes you feel good about yourself is soemtimes more important then what you have or don;t have.

I hope things improve for you as far as money, but good luck in all your pursuits for happiness too!

signed,

a student who's nearly as poor as you

2:15 PM  
Blogger RentZ said...

Nia..if a poor kid read your blog, he/she will be hurt..
You live in a warm room in amsterdam, wearing warm clothes, you even have a laptop! Please be grateful for what you have. Take a look around you, and you will smile to feel how rich you are.
When that feeling is there, keep your head cold and solve the money problem. This time, I'll pray for you.

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

uang bukan segalanya...... semua orang bisa punya uang ... tetapi tidak semua orang bisa punya iman dan kepercayaan seperti yang kamu punya.... bersyukurlah karena itu

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

uang bukan segalanya...... semua orang bisa punya uang ... tetapi tidak semua orang bisa punya iman dan kepercayaan seperti yang kamu punya.... bersyukurlah karena itu

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home