Friday, December 10, 2004

My Birthday – a celebration and remembrance the birth of a new-me

Lying on my bed, sobbing, sob,.. sob,.. “Why could this be happened to me?”
No, it’s not something serious. It was just me sobbing my inability to enjoy the day, my illness. Fool me! I couldn’t even enjoy my birthday. On Tuesday, I woke up with a sore throat, bad one. I drove myself to go to the office, celebrating my birthday there. I’d bought some cakes for them and I looked forward to what would happen there. Unfortunately my Serve Asia
[1] team couldn’t come; my supervisor, Ruan Crew, was ill.

I was a bit disappointed, really, on that day. Even my best friends, Mr. D en Mr. A, couldn’t come to my house. Okay, it was a long story, but I was upset; they supposed to come to my house, ‘celebrating’ my birthday.

In the evening, I ended up having the most romantic dinner ever with, ANITA, my roommate. No, don’t laugh! It was indeed so nice. She prepared a 1/8 slice of KwarkTaart with some candles. Cute, huh?! We ate a take-away Thai meal and ended in front of our teli watching Coyote Ugly, admiring Adam Garcias for his good looks.

I could say that it was the worst birthday ever, or I could blame God and asking why He did this to me, but I won’t do that.
I was ill, terribly ill up till now. My family was far away in an island called Indonesia, my best friends couldn’t come for some other reasons (it’s not your fault, guys!), Mr. Weirdo didn’t call me (at least he tried, but it didn’t go through) and I didn’t have enough money to celebrate my birthday.

Was it a bad birthday? Yes it was, if I see it with my human’s eyes, but when I tried to see with my spiritual eyes, evaluating and remembering what God’s given to me for the pass 20 years (yes, I am TWENTY YEARS OLD now!).

“Tell me a good part of your birthday, Nia?”
You might ask so. Hum,.. I was wondering, too. Let me think.

The best present on that day was my director told me that I could stay for the next 6-months in OMF Netherlands doing my internship. He would help me finding an (cheap) accommodation and also Dutch language course. I was really happy.

Moreover, generally, I see this year is better than the years before. I’d accepted, personally and surely, JC (Jesus) as my personal savior, my God and my hero. I could speak up about him, telling everybody about how good He is; I could encourage other about Christianity. Looking back a year a go, I couldn’t surely do this; it wasn’t even in my thought.

Last thing, God has rectified my life: family, friends, and my spiritual life. He always provides what we need. He’s given the right job for my dad, after waiting for several moments; He gave him at the exact time. He renewed my brother, filled him with new thoughts and understandings, and giving him a new role as the oldest child in my house and providing him with wisdom and understanding. He succeeded my mom’s works, even though it was a brand new field for her. He always provides us.

Spiritually, He healed my broken heart. I, once, said to Him,
“God, I want to go to church, but I would never ever get involved in any church things, such as being pianist, getting involved in the youth.”
It was me saying, last year.
Now, He told me that I could never ever be part of His family if I just stayed still, doing nothing, being passive in the church.
It is like you play football.
You can play excellent football, you know every tricks, you understand every techniques, but if you just play alone, without any coach, without a team to play with, a team to play against, your skills will become nothing.

In the end I realized, God’s given talents to me, I can sing, I can play piano, I can do a lot of things, why don’t I use them for God’s glory?

Yes, it was me saying that.
If you want to know how different I am now, ask my mom, or ask Mr. Weirdo, or even read my first posts in my blog. You might notice the different.

Thus, birthday is not always about celebrating, but it is always about giving thanks to Him. Thanks God!


[1] Serve Asia is a short-term missionary program of which the website is made by me. For further information see http://www.ozg.nl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home