Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Who is my neighbour?

As you have read my blog, for months, or probably some of you for years, you might still remember situation I have struggled with. It is the situation that has set me apart from the normal, student, life, from the real life abroad, and from some of my friends. It is the situation, which has ever sent me bed with empty stomach or with tears still falling down from my eyes. It is the situation that has set fire among me and my housemates. It is the situation that has turned me from a sensitive girl to a brave one and then to an extremely sensitive, worried girl.

As I promised in my post a couple months ago, I would stop moaning about my current situation, because, as Nebuchadnezzar, I know I have to go through this because of His wonderful reason: to know Him better and better. I thought it would be simple to just be home with my family and fight together with them. No,. a big NO!

Yet, my effort to comprehend my ‘new’ situation is not comparable to the happenings I see everyday: people who attempt to survive just another day.

I see an old man cycling his becak, late in the evening, just to feed his children.

I see a little girl, just about my little sister’s age, begged for some coins near the traffic light, while staring at my little sister who was eating some snacks.

I see a fat, old lady carrying a huge burden full of fruits and vegetables and walking in and out some streets.

I see some street children sitting in front of a school doing nothing. One of them was looking very sad; he was staring the school building. He might have thought “gosh, when would I ever go to school?”

I read on the newspaper that two babies were found dead in a trash can near a hospital. Oh, the mother(s) might have thought to keep the babies; yet the only money she had in her pocket would only able to buy a bottle of mineral water.

On the radio, I heard that two boys were brought to the nearest hospital because the local doctor suspected they suffer from bird flu.

As I sat next to Stefy while he was driving pass the hot mud location near Sidoarjo, I saw the villages were sinking. Where should the families live? How could the children go to school? The only thing that left was roof, hm,.. probably some orange roofs.

Thus, who is my neighbour?

Is it the one living next to my house who buys a new car every month and eating out every time he finds out that the food at home is not what he has expected?

Is it the one that her house is located just a couple blocks from my house that shops till she drops, not paying attention on any discounts, big sales or cheaper offer?

Is it the one that lives just on the opposite that celebrates the night with a glass of wine if he is unhappy and two jugs of Pina Colada if he is happy?

I believe I am a well-educated grown up that may know the best answer. If, so far, my neighbour is only located not further than my own house (thus, what I try to say is, that my neighbour is my family), I better to expand my point of view and turn my head to a further distance, for instance an old becak driver who parks his vehicle near my house.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nie! If half of young generation of Ibu Pertiwi shared your values, I believe the Ibu Pertiwi will not cry any more and the prosperous Indonesia will come true, its not to start from to see but to believe!! Yon

1:34 PM  
Blogger Oma Nia said...

Thanks, ya kak! Wanna join me to make the world a better place?

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home