Friday, August 04, 2006

Jesus had lunch

One afternoon, I had lunch with my friend. Out of nothing, she asked “You are Christian, right? why do you follow this Jesus?”Why do you love Him like you do, especially when the world's turned away from His teachings and the people who serve Him are few?” He bombarded me with his questions. He added “look, you lately have Da Vinci Code book and movie that strongly opposed Christianity.

I was surprised to hear his questions. He is not the talkative type of person. He is a truly melancholic; yet with his close friend, he can talk more. But, asking questions, like those kind of questions,.. ah it is strange!

I swallowed the food inside my mouth, while thinking, and answered, “It's not the rewards I'm after or gifts that I hope to receive. It's the Presence that calls for commitment. It's the Spirit I trust and believe.

The Lord doesn't shelter His faithful or spare them all suffering and pain. Like everyone else I have burdens and walk through my share of rain”.

Yet He gives me a plan and a purpose and that joy only Christians have known.” I stared at him. I looked at him right into his eyes “I never know what comes tomorrow, but I do know I'm never alone.

I was about to stop, yet suddenly I found the courage to say more words.

It's the love always there when you need it;
It's the words that redeem and inspire,
It's the longing to ever be with Him
That burns in my heart like a fire.

I was amazed to see him staring at me. I thought he must be bored by then; yet he didn’t. He still stared at me waiting for more explanations.

So you ask why I love my Lord Jesus? Well, friend, that's so easy to see! But the one thing that fills me with wonder is why Jesus loves someone like me.

He finished his ice coffee and moved towards me.
Please, tell me more about this Jesus!

(adapted from “You ask why I follow this Jesus”)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home