Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas Fairytale

Do you believe in fairytale?

I do.
It is silly, because the target group of fairytale ‘industry’ is children age 3 -7. And who am I? Once again, I tell you, I am twenty-something girl that has a proper job, in the state of applying for Master Degree, and is about to get ready for a status called married. I am old enough to be called ‘old’. And, I am, too, well educated. And I like fairytale?

Thanks God, it is not a crime.

For me, fairytale is a whole new world, where you can be anything you want. You can be Cinderella, or one of the seven dwarfs, or Sherk, or if I want to keep my Asian culture, I still can be Mulan.

I can pretend that I was loved by two men who were fighting to win my love. I can pretend that I was half-dead waiting to be kissed. I can pretend to be very evil that I wanted to eat three pigs. Or, when I was sad, I could fly, like Peter Pan.

I don’t know whether it is my generation who is getting dumber, or my lil sister generation who gets enough nutrition that they are very smart. Coz, my sister doesn’t believe in Santa Clause.

Gosh, HOW COME?

Santa Clause is the BEST fairytale EVER! Because he is ‘REAL’. He has brought me a lot of presents, especially those I found under the Christmas tree and on my shoes. Although he was always accompanied by the black elves (zwartepiet), who were Avery cruel, in the end, I got the present. Sometimes, I got something that I have wanted for soooo long.

And my lil sister doesn’t believe in him? It is what we can call a crime. She is 8 y.o and she was so smart that when she was 5 or 6 yo, she said that Santa Clause is a fiction. It is very impossible to believe that someone (read: Santa Clause) knows what she wants and appears only once a year. Where does he live? How does he live?

My goodness! I didn’t ask those questions when I was her age.

My mom kept silent. She didn’t say anything about my lil sister’s comment, which was actually true. My mom did also keep silent to me when I was little, until my mom reckoned that I was old enough to know the ‘truth’. A painful truth, I called, because I was very disappointed to know that he was unreal. My mom bought my presents and gave them to fake Santa Clause.

How come did he know everything about me?” I replied.
Ah, I wrote everything in a piece of paper. What’s good about you? Have you been naughty that year of not? Everything!” she answered.

*Grumbling*

I hated to know that fact, because since then, my mom stopped dragging me to Santa Clause event. After that year (it was when I were 10 or 11 y.o), I sometimes attended Santa Clause event, accompanying my lil brother, who was as naïve as I had been before I knew the truth.

Santa Clause had been the best thing ever happened on Christmas day. But, now I know something better about Christmas Day, because on this day, a child was born to make a difference! That's what I call Christmas.

1 Comments:

Blogger akokow said...

http://satukalimat.blogspot.com/2007/12/dongeng.html

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home