Wednesday, December 19, 2007

All I Want for Christmas


Christmas Day is approaching. A song says "it is the most wonderful time of the year." No matter where I am at that moment, I always feel 'christmasy' (trust me this ain’t real English). Although I don't feel the cold, snowy (windy) weather, yet it is Christmas.

Here I am, in Indonesia, celebrating my first Christmas, after 5 years in a row, with my beloved family and Stefy. I do rejoice for this amazing opportunity. Heaven knows how much I have longed for this moment.

Family is the most crucial aspect of celebrating Christmas (apart from celebrating the birth of baby Jesus). I can have nothing to eat, no new dress and no martini champagne to celebrate my Christmas, yet as long as I have family surround me, I am more than happy.

Thank God, He has given me a lot of families to celebrate my Christmas, especially in these past 6 years.

First Christmas in Holland – 2002
It was deadly cold (since it was my first winter). I got ill, some days before the Christmas Day. Yet, I enjoyed Indonesian tasty food, handmade by my beloved uncle. Yes, it was my Christmas with my family in the Netherlands, uncles, aunts and cousins.

I and Anton went to Air Hidup church and met Ardy there! It was the second time I met him. I reckon, since then, I became quite close to him.

Second Christmas in Holland – 2003
I loved this second Christmas with my new friends – new roommates. We bought champagne, cooked and chatted till midnight. It was wonderful because it was very different than previous Christmas with family, which was celebrated formally. We did a lot of crazy things. We played games. We watched movies. FUN!

I and Ardy went to Air Hidup church to attend Christmas service, which appeared to be fun. I wore my blue kebaya, for the first time, and I was pictured with a cute guy from the church. Yipee!

Third Christmas in Holland – 2004
British style Christmas!
No, I didn’t celebrate Christmas in the Great Britain, yet I was invited by a half-British family to celebrate Christmas in their house. It was amazing! We sat around square table, decorated with red, green, and gold ornaments. We ate turkey (I had vegetables instead), parsnip (VERY YUMMY!), potatoes, and Christmas pudding.

We exchanged presents. I had mug and dolls from their beloved children. Instead of going home, I spent the night in their house, drinking gluhwein and slept over. Hm,… I miss them so bad.

I have been very close to this family since 2004. I love their children: Emily, Hanna and Tim. We watched cartoon film – the snowman – on the second Christmas day.

Apart from celebrating with the Crew Family, I went out with my beloved friends. I forgot what we did that time, but it must have been very FUN.

Forth (last) Christmas – 2005
I didn’t realize that it was my last Christmas, because I did enjoy it very much. I joined the choir at Crossroad church, thus I had to perform during Christmas eve and the Christmas Day. It was a big fun!!!

I was also very active in the Church, thus I helped their event. They had sort of games/workshop day. Everyone could come and join any workshops (related to arts) and joined the game. In the end of the event, we were entertained by two Christian bands.

On this Christmas day, I saw the pastor’s son, who looked like ORLANDO BLOOM (trust me, many people said the same thing, too) *drooling*

I celebrated this last Christmas eating chocolate fondue with my beloved housemates, Anita, Golda, Ardy, and Daniel. We drank champagne ‘till Golda got so drunk (LOL) that she hallucinated – LOL. We watched movie till the morning came.

The Crew Family also invited me to celebrate Christmas in their house. It was Dutch Christmas Celebration. I forgot what we had for dinner, yet, it was ALWAYS fun with the Crew Famiily. I remember that we watched extended version Lord of the Ring.

First (and last) Christmas at Meulaboh, West Aceh – 2006
I was very disappointed when my boss didn’t allow me to go home for Christmas. Yet, I was not sad at all, because I had a new family that I met just before Christmas day. He, Pak Erik, and his wife worked at Salvation Army. They were, in fact, ‘the boss’.

I went to their house early morning, 5 AM, to have Christmas service together with Salvation Army staff. We had breakfast together and went to church.

Celebrating Christmas in Aceh was very different, because you couldn’t see any Christmas tree or any Christmas ornaments. Nowhere. I was thankful for this sophisticated Christmas. Even more thankful because there was a strong rumour that celebrating Christmas in Aceh was a BIG NO, but it was very okay. Nothing happened. Thank GOD!

This is the most wonderful time of the year,…
Yes, I will celebrate my 2008 Christmas with my beloved family and friends.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home