Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Indonesia tanah air beta

I have browsed some sites today, and yeah, my perception about my Indonesia has not yet changed. It is still the same city, with same people who are unoriginal.

I love Indonesian films; thus I am very happy to see that Indonesian films are now waking up. One of my dreams is to be involved in, at least, one Indonesian film production.

However, it is a pity, that some Indonesian films do not have their own culture. They rather copy “the culture” from western films, even worse they literally copy the idea. Like film “Eiffle, I’m in love”, it is very Western. Why Paris? because it is romantic? Why not “Bandung, I’m in love” or “Bali, I’m in love”. I like Lombok, Bali, or Jogjakarta; they are romantic cities, too. And why high, modern, expansive house showed in the film? Why not just a normal house, in a normal area, with normal car and normal amount of ‘pembantu’ (I remember there were three servants cleaning the girl’s room. Is that NORMAL?). Why a driver picking up from Airport in Paris? Why not taking a public transport? That’s the beauty of Paris: bus, subway, or maybe taxis. Fiuh,.. I am tired of asking these ‘why’s’.

It is what I have written above – pretending to be modern. Why do we not proud to be Indonesian? Why do we have to follow what the Western people do in fashion, hair, beauty or music? Look at Indonesian public figures. They are wearing SWEATER or COAT or WINTER SCARF!! Maybe some of you do not know that Indonesia is usually hot and humid, around 30 C; or if you remember, one of Indonesian song, was an imitation of Boyz II Men’s song.

How about Indonesian soap? They are just waste of money: similar, crying-baby, commercial stories with endless commercial breaks because they want as many sponsors as possible. The story? It just wants to make you cry. It is always about a good person against a bad person. A good person, that is always too good, has no mistake, no sins; and the ‘bad guy’ that is always too bad, too mean that you, yourself, want to punch him or her in the face. It is also always about money, heritage, being rich. Even worse, lately, I noticed, many mystical touches appear in many Indonesian sinetrons. Where is God in every story? Oh,.. God is either be a ‘bad guy’, sitting on Heaven, who extremely punishes His children when they disobey His commands (karma, takdir); or a Figure everyone will turn on to when they face problems, attacked by evils.

Where is a good God, a loving God that provides everyone’s needs? Ah,.. I think people might forget that nowadays. People will prefer to go to the psychic people, or hm,.. probably fairy will come and save me tonight.

Ah,.. I miss ‘si Unyil’ or ‘Semar and Gareng’ or serials like ‘keluarga cemara’.

How about Indonesian commercial breaks? Numerous commercial breaks. Yes, indeed. What do we see on TV? Only whitening and slimming products! WHY want to be white? My Dutch friends went to Indonesia last summer, and they wanted to get tanned. Me? I love being tanned. Why slimming products? Indonesian girl is TINY. I am size 10 (European size is 34/36) and when I went back to Indonesia, everybody, male and female, said “oh, Nia,.. you look chubbier. You are a bit fat, aren’t you?”

I am sorry to conclude so quickly, but it is how Indonesian people define ‘beautiful’: white skin, VERY skinny, and, additional requirement, has a long hair. I do have none of them: I love being tanned (tho I am now white), NOT skinny, and love short hair (tho, now, I am very lazy to go to the hairdresser. My hair is getting longer and longer.)”

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body," (1 Cor. 6:19-20).

So,..
Enough of criticizing. I am now will giving some compliments to Indonesian films or cultures.

I like Janji Joni. Despite the handsome Niko :P, the storyline is cool! The movie captures many details that communicate Indonesian cultures. It didn’t skip the areas near the rails, or the stinky-rivers in Jakarta. It didn’t only show cute girls with a 2cms-foundation and red lipstick. Or Mengejar Matahari, a story of four boys living in Jakarta ghetto. I love this film, I think with the same reason: originality.

I honestly have missed a lot of Indonesian films; yet I encourage you, my friends who are now in the Netherlands: be different! When we get back to Indonesia (for me, it is soon), we have to bring something different, new perception, new way of thinking, to the people. Especially, you girls,.. be confident! We are beautiful! Whoever we are, and however we are. You don’t have to be white to be beautiful! For my Indonesian friends, be creative and sensitive. Do not just swallow what the media feeds you. For the film-maker (I dedicate this article to you, Andhika and the gank), be creative and original. Sometimes, copying is needed to stimulate your creativity, but do not let anything kill your creativity. I will join you as soon as I get back!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

tapi aktingnya niko biasah

malah akting2 pemaen laennya yang keyen (as in Tantowi Yahya, Barry Prima, Sudjiwo Tedjo)

pernah merhatiin ga, bintang2 muda indo punya accent :p, this accent yg kentara banget, kaya kita baca puisi jaman SD

oh dan niko chubby :p

10:28 AM  
Blogger Lembayung Malak said...

terima kasih banyak, thank you very much, matur nuwon... aku sangat menghargai tulisanmu. YOK! Berjuang bersamaku, yuk,Wujudkan film Indonesia jadi pemenang OSCAR.. Wua... Ini bukan sekedar Impian, tapi Impian yang bisa hidup dan DIWUJUDKAN, asal kita percaya,berusaha dan TAAT pada Sang Maha Kuasa, pewujud impian (",)

5:32 PM  
Blogger Ardho said...

penyebabnya adalah... yang komplen di ttg Proud Of Indonesia di blog ini aja.. nulisnya pake basa inggris... xixixixi... :D

5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home