Saturday, February 02, 2008

Good Vs Bad

My opinion that Suharto has been one of the most influential figure in Indonesia remains. After more than 20 days continuously seeing news about him everywhere, I thought 'his death announcement' will stop. It, indeed, has decreased; yet not stopped.

Mr. Wimar, one of my favorite figure, wrote this to end his article, titled "Soeharto escapes trial, but Indonesia does not":

"Bringing Suharto to trial is not just a case of criminal and civil justice. It is important to give people a sense of what is right and what is wrong. Ethical clarity has been clouded by people straddling fence for so many years. People forget the atrocities because they were kept well hidden. But the damage to the nation's confidence and self-respect is evident, and may well be the remaining legacy of Suharto's rule."

Applause to Mr Wimar, because I, personally, have never thought that way. I had wanted him to be imprisoned so bad (although I'd known for sure that it would NEVER happen), because he was such a bad guy. He did cruel things, especially to my ethnicity. Yet, it had never appeared to me that the utmost result of his punishment would be clarity of what is good or bad.

One commented on Wimar's website regarding this article:

and you know what, after his death, the society now can be grouped into 3:
- those who care a lot about Soeharto, who still defend all of his actions on the New Era, telling people like me that those actions (corruption, human right abuse, etc) was needed.

- those who still think objectively and not affected by those dramas we've seen since the beginning of the year

- those who don't care at all. this is the worse group, because as a nation we really need to pay more attention to the current situation.

I have to admit that I have joined the last group. Yet, I disagree if I am called the worst type of person because I don't care to the current situation. I don't care because I know that nothing would happen Cendana Group (even Tommy's case was a soap opera - not mere justice) and no one could ever touch Cendana Family. Thus, why should I bother with Suharto's case any longer?

Forgiveness is God's. We never know for sure what he had done in the past and what he'd done before he suffered. Call me naive and let me be naive about this case, because I believe there must be good part in every person's heart. And Suharto has one, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home