Monday, September 17, 2007

Work Vs Play

When I visited one radio station in Jakarta, the program director told me that their listeners are mostly young businessmen/business women aged 25 – 32 years old, whose motto is ‘work hard, play hard.’

The program director added that it is essential for young people in Jakarta to have such motto, because if they don’t have balanced life, between work and play (read: having fun), they would be swallowed by the hectic lifestyle that will leave them with nothing.

Make sense.

Everybody, especially Indonesian, knows how terrible, yet amusing, living in Jakarta is. Work, work, and work. Traffic jam, traffic jam, and another traffic jam. Rain, flood, rain, flood. All in one. You have everything, from urban ‘till rural lifestyle; from natural disaster till skyscrapers; from jet set till homeless people.

Although I am not living in Jakarta (thank God), people here (Surabaya) have pretty much similar lifestyle: workaholic, shopaholic, food addict, corrupt, etc,.. you name it!

Thus, I reckon, we, as Christian, should have a slightly different motto: work hard, pray hard.

I, as well as Golda, have been nagging about being too tired, sometimes overloaded. Yes, I have felt that. I felt like some other people have 30 hours a day, yet I just have 24 hours.

How is my normal day like? Wake up early, rush to work, have lunch behind my computer, go home late, tired, quick dinner, quick bath, and then it is already 12 o’clock, go to bed.

Sad, sad, sad.

I have felt so tired with that kind of lifestyle. I want to change. I want to be more relaxed. I want to have more time reading, cooking, or doing my other hobbies.

A couple of weeks ago, I discovered that I have passed so many quite times with God. I no longer had special time with my Creator more than 10 minutes a day. Terrible!

I was reminded again that He, the living God, is the one and only source of my life. He is the centre of my joy, my working life, my life.

Work hard, pray hard, would you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home